Followers

Sunday, June 30, 2024

Chess is cruel and unkind!

       I was looking forward for the June 28 tournament dubbed “BANSUD 65th FOUNDING ANNIVERSARY FIDE RATED CHESS TOURNAMENT 2024”.  When fellow Tamaraw Jemar Latombo asked me kung sasali ako sa tour ang sinabi ko ay “Yes! Ako nga ang magcha champion don e”.  These were also the exact words I used in telling fellow Tamaraw and NA April Grace Robledo before I emerged the Champion in the Pinamalayan FIDE Rated Standard Chess Tournament.

      The outcome will just  be the same … and so I thought!

      As I was about to go to the event which is approximately 1 1/2 hours by Coaster or Van when me and my wife had little “misunderstanding” which changed my mood completely.

      Tried to calm myself and was gratified that along the way Yarra, Malou and Arjay will be my co-passenger.

      The tournament started well for me. John Markwin  Aldea gave strong opposition in the beginning but faded in the end.  In the second game, I employed a new opening for black which I will use in my Standard games when ever will it be. The game was boring. A position I don’t want to be in until I miscalculated and about to lose. From afar I could hear the drumbeats of his heart. Imagine beating an AGM for the first time. A player who had beaten him in the past. But he could not  contain his excitement. He blundered and lost! 




      But history will repeat itself!

      In the final phase of my 7th game against fellow Tamaraw Joel Diaz where I was white, a simple move of  1. h5 is enough to win the game and the tournament.

      Instead, I moved Qd3??. I dont know why I moved my Queen to d3 other than to protect my Bishop on g6 and the threat of Queen exchange in case of 1… Ng4 but 1…Qe8!! ends my dream.


       The phenomenom was explained by GM Alexander Kotov in his book Think Like a Grandmaster - “dizzines due to success”.   Notwithstanding, chess is cruel and unkind!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Japanese Resto with Friends